Thursday, December 20, 2012

Just sit right back, and you'll hear a tale

My daughter, who is in second grade, had an assignment to build a replica of one of Columbus' ships.  Daddy was in a quandary: how much help should a professional historian/miniatures gamer give to his daughter? Well the answer is: apparently a lot less than some of the other dads.  But we're proud of our little Santa Maria.  My daughter drew up blueprints, and I cut foamcore board to her specifications.  We then glued two box lids to represent the forecastle and poop deck (a lot of humor to be found in that term).  She painted with some of my craft-store acrylics, printed out a sail with a  cross of Malta, added some labels to identify parts of the ship (she is the only kid in second grade who can tell you WHY 'port' and 'starboard' are the terms for left and right on a ship), and voila!

2 comments:

Scott B. Lesch said...

You are a good dad. I have "helped" my two kids with these projects including making my angry son sit and watch while I built "The Little House on the Prairie" for him. I see the ship model as a war gaming prop.

Mad Doctor Mark said...

Don't think that thought hasn't crossed my mind!

I've always wanted to try pirates in 28mm but saw the coast of ship models as being prohibitive. Now I know better!