Friday, April 22, 2011

Cry, Havoc!

OK, one thing that bugs me is the way the above line from Henry V is usually taken to mean "Shout and make a lot of noise!" In fact, "havoc" is the Old English term for hawk, so Henry is actually giving a command to his bird, not to his troops.

So there you go.

Anyhow, I just got a shipment of 10mm medieval soldiers from Old Glory, taking full advantage of their 40% discount offer. I plan on using the Basic Impetus rules with them, which have me excited about pre-gunpowder wargaming once again. DBA was just not doing it for me--it drew too many rules lawyers and chess players. I love the element of chance, and I love rules that reward bold strokes and wise restraint. Impetus looks like it fits the bill.

The soldiers look great. They seem to be cleaner casts than the Napoleonic models I bought from the same manufacturer (which were pretty good to begin with). They look fun to paint up. My only concern is in mounting wire spears on both the infantry and cavalry. I've never done that before, and I am notoriously bad at using glue. Wish me luck.

I probably won't start painting these guys up until I am done with my Napoleonic French and Austrians. I'm slowing down with those guys, but I expect to finish with them sometime in June.

No comments: